Latin Teacher Runako Taylor Becomes Upper School Dean

New+Upper+School+Dean+Runako+Taylor+in+his+office.+

Jenn Babick

New Upper School Dean Runako Taylor in his office.

Lily Ray Darling, Editor-In-Chief

The student body is delighted to welcome Runako Taylor as an Upper School Dean. Taylor has been a member of the Poly community for five years and has established himself as a supportive Latin teacher, as well as a trusted advisor.

Sophomore Molly O’Connor, who has had Taylor as her advisor since her freshman year, praised Taylor for being “ridiculously funny and [for giving] sensible advice.”

“He is a good advisor and he will make a great dean,” O’Connor said.

Many of his students are sad to no longer have him as a teacher and threw a small party congratulating him on his new position. Freshman Jasper Price brought a cake for Taylor and the whole class made a board of their favorite memories from his classes.

“I enjoy the unpredictability of working with young people,” Taylor said. “I feel that it keeps me on my toes and it keeps me young. It certainly keeps my brain active. I also find that I tend to learn a lot, either from the students indirectly as they interact with the subject matter or directly when they explain some aspect of their world view that I would have never otherwise considered.”

Taylor took on the role of dean following the departure of Ed Yao. This announcement was made in an email on October 16th to Poly students and parents signed by Assistant Head of School and Dean of Academics Lori-Anne Brogdon and Kyle Graham, Assistant Head of School for Enrollment Management and Student Outcome. The abrupt nature of this email startled many students and families.

“With stress levels already so high for all the seniors amid the process of sending in our college applications, I was worried I’d be lost among the chaos,” said senior Erica Kagan. “But I am sure that Taylor will be a great addition to the Upper School Deans, and that we will all remain in good hands.”

While there may be concerns about the work load that Taylor will have because he teaches two sections of Latin while taking on the responsibilities of an Upper School Dean, Taylor told The Polygon that he will “handle the workload one day at a time” as the school looks for his replacement.

“I am excited to work with students outside of the classroom and I hope to be able to learn more about the overall student experience here at Poly,” Taylor said. “I hope that there are ways that we can all contribute to improving it.”

When asked about Taylor, Graham said “Taylor is everything you look for in a dean. He is smart, thoughtful, personable and an excellent advocate. I know Taylor’s students are going to miss him in the classroom, but as a dean, they’ll get an extraordinary mentor and guide through Poly’s Upper School.”