The Polygon: The Student Newspaper of Poly Prep Country Day School

Daylight Savings: Inconvenient and Impractical

Isabella Leyton, Contributing Writer | January 16, 2023

On the first Sunday of November, most North Americans set their clock back an hour, ending daylight savings. We set our clocks forward an hour on the second Sunday of every March to start daylight savings again. Over 70 countries around the world observe daylight savings. Throughout the winter months, there is less daylight. During this time we prioritize the sun rising earlier, and as a result, the...

Continue Reading

Carolina Lisk, Contributing Writer | January 3, 2023

The United States alone produces 33 percent of the global waste population. According to Grow NYC, New York City residents only recycle about 17 percent of their total waste, leaving 83 percent to be thrown away.   In the past, recycling has been challenging in NYC, especially due to the pandemic.  Due to COVID-19, New Yorkers began to order more food to their homes, and many started to clear...

Continue Reading
View All

Beatrice Larkin, People Editor | January 3, 2023

Poly students come from a myriad of different boroughs, countries, religions, and cultural backgrounds. They also celebrate in diverse ways. During the winter holidays, students from varying backgrounds come together with their friends and families with different customs.  Poly Senior and Polygon News Editor Alida Lissak shared her Hanukkah traditions. She said, “on Hanukkah, we light candles....

Continue Reading

Beatrice Larkin, People Editor | January 3, 2023

Poly Senior Julia’Belle Reyfman is committed to the early decision  process to continue her academic and athletic career at Brown University. Reyfman has excelled in javelin-throwing throughout her time at Poly. She discussed the time and effort she has put into javelin-throwing, and what it took for her to succeed in the sport.   Reyfman explained that she picked up the sport in the winter...

Continue Reading
View All
Athletics With Eli: Top 5 MLB Free Agents’ Projections

Eli Floyd, Contributing Writer | January 4, 2023

With the Major League Baseball (MLB) postseason coming to an end and the Houston Astros emerging victorious over the Philadelphia Phillies on November 5th, securing their second World Series in franchise history, MLB free agency has officially begun. Free Agency is a period in which teams start constructing their roster for the upcoming 2023 season, with spring training beginning in February. When...

Continue Reading
The World Cup: Poly Catches the Fútbol Fever

Lila Daniels, Contributing Writer | January 4, 2023

The Quadrennial International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) World Cup is back again and is bringing a lively, competitive energy to the air of Poly’s campus. People from all over the world are chanting their countries' names from the stands in Qatar, switching on their televisions, and streaming the World Cup live from their classes. The spirit that the World Cup emanates has a way of...

Continue Reading
View All
Activate Search
9216 7th Ave. Brooklyn, NY 11228
9216 7th Ave. Brooklyn, NY 11228