‘One Day’: The Limited Series That Perfects the ‘Second Adaptation’

“One Day,” the television series, covers 20 years of friendship, love, heartbreak, and devastation faced by Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew. It explores each July 15, the famous St. Swithin’s Day, from when they met up and beyond Emma’s tragic death. The show explains the state of their careers, families, and, most importantly, their love story as they grow from existing as total strangers to becoming “the most important person” in each other’s lives, as said by Emma while she looks back on her time with Dexter. The 14-episode series is a deeper look into the heartbreak of these characters to the point where the viewers feel their pain, loss, and sorrow. Unlike the film adaptation which reflected more genuine love and care, it portrays constant hurt. Why is it that the film caused a heart-wrenching response when the 2011 film did not? 

This new series has intrigued critics nationally. It is very rare for a plot to get things right in the second adaptation, but this series has done it. The key difference between the 2011 film and the recent TV series is, as IndieWire Senior TV Writer Proma Khosla stated, “‘One Day’ as a limited series leaves a much stronger impression than it ever could have as a film.” The much-needed depth of the characters’ lives, tragedies, and hopes allows the viewer to hold on to a plot they will never forget; however, the film could not spend enough time with each year and therefore, could not provide the development of the decade-spanning relationship the TV show did. Many, including Khosla and Executive Editor TV Erin Strecker, express how they barely remember anything from the film and “the new adaptation they won’t soon forget,” according to IndieWire.

With over 50 percent more in Rotten Tomato ratings, the TV show was a much bigger hit than the movie. The movie was “poorly received” by audience members and critics, making the TV show an “unexpected hit,” as said by Nadira Goffee, a journalist at Slate. One reason for this is that the TV show has more time to develop characters and storylines compared to the movie, allowing for deeper engagement with the audience over multiple episodes or seasons. A broader spectrum of viewers may be drawn to the TV show because it has greater freedom to explore a variety of plotlines and character arcs. There are greater chances for viewers to identify with the characters and get emotionally involved in their stories. For instance, viewers now have a closer grasp of Emma and Dexter’s lives thanks to improved character development in the TV show “One Day,” which makes their experiences and feelings more relevant and relatable. This kind of depth and connection is more challenging to achieve in a movie format, where the need to condense a story into a shorter runtime can lead to oversimplified narratives and underdeveloped characters. TV show’s episodic format also fosters a sense of community and anticipation among viewers as they debate each new episode and make predictions about what will happen next. On the other hand, movies typically have a more condensed timeframe to tell their story, which can sometimes result in less depth of characterization and plot.

VIA LEVI JACOBSON

The popularity of “One Day” on television serves as a reminder of the possible advantages of turning movies into television series. The change from a two-hour film to a multi-episode series has made it possible to delve deeper into character development, tell more complex stories, and elicit stronger emotional responses from viewers. TV show creators have the luxury of more time and freedom to explore intricate plotlines and character arcs, which movies often cannot because of time constraints. Considering these benefits, it’s clear that a lot of movies would gain from being adapted into television shows. This method not only improves the storytelling experience but also meets the changing tastes of modern audiences who want more in-depth and emotionally compelling stories.