How Social Media Is Shaping Political Discourse

In a society where 4.9 billion people worldwide use social media, a number that is expected to increase to 5.85 billion by 2027, social media platforms significantly influence societal behaviors. Among social media users, teenagers wield increasing influence, helping to shape and reshape political conversations with their every swipe and click. From Instagram stories to TikTok videos, the digital landscape has become a battleground of competing ideas and ideologies where young voices are heard far and wide. As social media increasingly permeates every aspect of teenagers’ daily lives, the question arises: How is the rise in social media usage affecting political conversations among teens?

For freshman Sydney McFarlane, much of her social interaction, whether with friends or acquaintances, occurs online. McFarlane has been active on platforms like Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat since fifth grade. She recalls that her online experience began “extremely harmless and lighthearted.” She and her friends would share “fun TikTok dancing videos and leave it at that,” she said. However, as she grew older, she began encountering more serious content on platforms like Instagram, particularly in people’s stories. “I started seeing a lot more politically charged content on stories, like discussions about the BLM movement and a ton of Trump vs. Biden propaganda,” McFarlane recalled. “At just 12 years old, I had no idea how to navigate such weighty topics.” She felt compelled to repost the same content her friends were sharing, regardless of her level of understanding. “Even now, cancel culture heavily influences how I and other teenagers present themselves on social media,” McFarlane reflected.

This follower mentality is not unique to McFarlane, with many students at Poly sharing similar experiences. Junior Ava Buckley noted, “When I first joined Instagram, I noticed that many of my friends and the people I followed were reposting highly political and controversial content. It felt like the norm to reshare these kinds of posts, so I did.” Sophomore Sienna Klauss added, “When I was younger, I felt more inclined to share political content on social media, especially on Instagram. But as I’ve developed stronger opinions on certain political issues, I find myself less engaged with sharing politically charged content online.”

The question then becomes: Do teenagers feel comfortable engaging in political discussions online, and if so, what is the appropriate manner for them to do so? Juniors Diego Garcia-Philips and Carlo Carson express uncertainty about navigating political conversations in the digital sphere. Garcia-Philips acknowledges the prevalence of political content on platforms like Instagram, particularly amidst events like the Israel-Palestine conflict. He admits to avoiding such discussions unless he feels compelled to share a specific message. “There are times when I’m unsure of the right course of action,” he reflects. Similarly, Carson confesses feeling overwhelmed by the complexity of online political discussions. “Sometimes, I find it challenging to determine what content to repost on social media,” he remarks, highlighting the daunting nature of political engagement for many teenagers.

According to Psychology Today, “There is a heuristic most of us use to determine what to do, think, say, and buy: the principle of social proof. To learn what is correct, we look at what other people are doing.” When discussing the phenomenon of herd mentality on social media, Jean Belford, head of the computer science department, notes, “I believe that the echo chambers created by platforms like Instagram are fostering a heightened sense of conformity among teenagers. It’s unsurprising to see many young people online reposting potentially harmful political content.”

“When you’re younger, there’s often a psychological pull to follow the crowd and mimic the behaviors of those around you,” said psychologist Jane Byrne. This inclination is particularly strong on social media, where engaging in political conversations and activism can feel exhilarating for young adults and teenagers. They may perceive themselves as part of a revolutionary movement, which in turn inspires others to join in.”

On Instagram, political conversations among teenagers are about more than sharing opinions — they’re about navigating a complex landscape of social expectations and digital reputations. As social justice movements gain momentum and political awareness rises, “Instagram has emerged as a crucial platform for discussing pressing societal issues,” said Buckley. However, behind the veneer of free expression lies a subtle undercurrent of fear: the fear of being canceled. “In this environment, where one’s online persona can be quickly tarnished by a single wrong action, teenagers often find themselves walking a tightrope, carefully selecting which viewpoints to repost to avoid potential backlash,” Buckley added. “This phenomenon sheds light on the fragile dynamics of social media activism and the challenges young users face as they negotiate between authenticity and conformity in a digital age,” Belford said. 

In the realm of digital communication, social media has become a game-changer, completely transforming how people engage in civic matters. Recent research orchestrated by PubMed Central shows just how significant social media is. “It’s a platform where anyone can share their thoughts with a large audience, without worrying about censorship. Think about Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram — they’re not just for posting selfies anymore; they’ve become places where people talk about politics and social issues. And guess what? These online conversations actually have a big impact on what people think and how they make decisions.”

In her final remarks, Belford said, “Young people are often effective in raising social awareness and holding others accountable. It’s crucial to promote media literacy on social media, encouraging users to verify sources and understand the impact of sharing inaccurate content. Platforms should prompt users to fact-check before sharing.”