The Student Newspaper of Poly Prep Country Day School

The Polygon

The Polygon

The Polygon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Does Your Vote Matter? Michael Gabriel: Chief of Cartoons and Christmas Spirit

If you’ve ever flipped through the pages of the Polygon, you’ve likely seen the incredibly witty and funny comics that are in each edition. These comic strips come from the talented mind of our very own Chief of Cartoons and Puzzles, Michael Gabriel ’24. By the end of this year, Gabriel will have created and published twenty-seven different comic strips. Gabriel’s comics have been a fantastic hit at Poly; they are cherished and anticipated by students and teachers alike. When asked about Gabriel’s comics, student and Polygon’s co-editor-in-chief, Lucia Zaremba 25 said, “I look forward to seeing Michael’s creative cartoons every time I read the Polygon.”

As an underclassman Gabriel did not see himself as an artist, but rather just someone who doodled in his notebook during class. After first becoming a member of the Polygon as a writer in his freshman year, he had the idea to create a comic strip, but never went any further with it. However, everything changed when Poly unveiled the new logo in 2021. Gabriel confessed disappointment with the new, professionally-made blue devil. He stated that part of him questioned why Poly didn’t “ask a student to make it, because we have plenty of good artists at Poly.” He believed that Poly should have had a competition among students for the new blue devil. This frustration and disappointment pushed Gabriel to start making doodles of the mascot, and then eventually he created a comic about the new mascot itself. He proposed the comic to the leaders of the Polygon, and this comic about the new logo eventually became Gabriel’s first ever published comic strip.

Beyond his undeniable talent, what truly sets Gabriel apart is his kindness. He is always willing to lend a hand or share a word of encouragement with his peers. Whether he’s helping a friend brainstorm ideas for a project, parading around Poly in a Santa costume for the holidays, or simply offering a smile in the hallway, Gabriel’s friendly demeanor makes him a cherished member of the school community. On the Polygon, Gabriel’s coworker Kayvan Dyk ’25 has stated that while working with him, “his natural talent and kindness simultaneously shines through, which makes him a great friend and coworker.” 

Although Gabriel’s time at Poly is coming to an end, that does not necessarily mean that his career in cartooning and comics will be over as well. Gabriel will be studying at the College of William and Mary in the fall. When first visiting William and Mary, Gabriel made sure to pick up a newspaper and check that they do indeed have a comic strip of their own. He admitted to me that he has already begun creating doodles of characters that would work well with the William and Mary mascot.