The Polygon: The Student Newspaper of Poly Prep Country Day School

CHAMPIONS: A Closer Look at Varsity Football

The Football team prepares to scrimmage during a practice at Poly.

Nathan Darmon

Nathan Darmon

It only takes a quick visit to the back fields of Poly’s campus to see the famed Varsity Football team. Every day, this committed group of winners works to improve their game skills and to build their confidence.

Even before the official start of the season, the boys were hard at work. During the long summer months, team members came to Poly six days a week where they practiced for up to nine hours a day, focusing on learning their updated offensive and defensive plays, lifting, and exercising.

The team consists of almost 40 members, ranging from 8th-graders to seniors. All players are extremely dedicated, practicing nearly every day year-round in both rain or shine. This year, they are led by Seniors Bobby Coll, Will Nipon, Joe Charles, Adonis Brooks, Jason Blissett, and Michael Licata, whose guidance is sure to contribute to the team’s success.

Under the leadership of Head Coach Kevin Fountaine and Coaches Kevin Burke, Davonte Wheeler, Mike Camardese and Paul Suarez, the team is focusing on improving their agility, strength, and endurance on and off the field. Poly’s new Director of Sports Performance Richard James also helps the players train with the main goal of making them bigger, faster, and stronger.

Junior Stefel Smith said, “We’ve improved a lot. The season is going well despite setbacks like numerous injuries and the loss of teammates from last year. But we are ready to have a great year. We really think that this season will be a great one.”

Senior Kevin Rosa agreed, saying, “We have a lot of young players on the team who really stepped up for us and made a big impact. I think that we can potentially win a championship if we keep the same intensity and spirit that we always had since the start of our season.”

The football team won against Riverdale with a score of 39 to 20 at the annual Homecoming game. Their training, commitment, and savvy new plays helped propel them to a victory over one of our strongest rivalries. We hope the team continues this momentum into their championship season and makes Poly proud. Good luck to this squad of champions.

About the Contributors
Emily Weinstein, Online Managing Editor

Emily Weinstein ‘20 is the current Online Managing Editor of the Polygon. She began writing for The Polygon at the end of her Freshman year and became the Online Sports Editor in her Sophomore year. At Poly, she is a member of Blue Key, Girls Who Code, A Cappella, the editorial team for the Polyglot, and is the President of the Programming Club. During her free time, she can be found in front of her computer screen playing video games or binging Netflix comedies in the company of her two cats, Casper and Grayson.

Nathan Darmon, Photography Editor

Nathan Darmon ‘21 is the current Photography Editor for the Polygon. He joined the Polygon near the end of his freshman year. At Poly, he’s an eager debater on the Debate Team, a photographer for the yearbook, peer tutor in French and Spanish, and an active member of the Model UN Club, Cambodia Club, Varsity Fencing, J.V. Cross Country, J.V. Track and Field, and Jazz Band. In his free time, he can be found playing piano, cooking, skateboarding, running, and debating with everyone.