WIN-ter Classic

Poly Hockey reclaims the Winter Classic Title in a 5-1 win against Fieldston

The Poly Prep Hockey Team crushed the Fieldston Eagles with a five to one win in the 11th annual Winter Classic in Chelsea Piers on February 28th. For as long as it has been around, the game has been an enormous rivalry between Poly and Fieldston. It draws large crowds from both schools. Many regard The Winter Classic to be one of if not the largest high school sporting event in New York City. 

Led by seniors Henry Ingrassia, Harrison Lewan-Packer, Kellan McCann, Jake Mendelson, Nate Lewis, and Liam Kinnane, Poly Hockey dominated the whole game, scoring a quick four goals in the first period. The goal scorers in the game included sophomore Thomas Wells, who scored two goals, eighth-grader Liam McCummings, sophomore Jake Zrihen, and sophomore Bradley Schessel.

This year the hockey team had arguably the most well-rounded group of players in their 12 years of existence. The night before the Winter Classic they also made Poly history by becoming the first Poly Hockey team to win the Big Apple Hockey League (BAHL) championship. Along the way, they beat competitors such as Columbia Prep, Fieldston, Xavier, Xaverian, and Portledge. 

A lot of this winning was due to the excellent coaching of Head Coach Bob Carswell and Assistant Coach Brett Simon. The team ended its season with a record of 8-3-0 and a lot of fantastic memories. 

Thanks to everyone who came and supported the hockey team with their Poly Spirit throughout this season and the hockey team cannot wait to see everyone next year again at the Winter Classic!