What Poly Students Expect Next Fall

Students opinions regarding what school will look like when we return

The COVID-19 pandemic turned the world upside-down. We started the year off governed by one hybrid model but then quickly transitioned to another, even stranger hybrid model, and now we are finally fully in person. As the year comes to a close, however, many students are speculating about what Poly will look like next year.

Freshman Nathan Nguyen said, “Poly will likely remove the mask policy entirely, assuming that you are vaccinated, as well as allow all students to return to the building and proceed going to school like normal, with some possible changes based on what was learned during the pandemic.”

Another rising sophomore Violet Taub said, “I think that everything is pretty much going to be normal when we go back in the fall. I don’t know if we’re gonna have to wear masks or not because by then, most students will probably be vaccinated. The school might require a vaccine to come back, so I think it’s really up to that. But I think that we’re definitely gonna be inside, ‘cause even if they don’t require it, enough kids will be vaccinated.”

As both Nguyten and Taub speculated, Poly will require all students ages twelve and up to be vaccinated next school year. Hopefully, with herd immunity, Poly will no longer require masks outdoors or indoors for all students, ushering in a resumed sense of normalcy.

Also addressing masking next year, Junior Jocelyn Lu said, “I don’t think that they will require masks or make that such a strong“Poly will require all students aged twelve and up to be vaccinated next school year. Hopefully, with herd immunity, Poly will no longer require masks outdoors or indoors for all students, ushering in a resumed sense of normalcy. ”requirement, especially since many people will be vaccinated. There will probably be occasional COVID testing, but not weekly. I think the daily Ruvna QR code scanning procedure will still be in place.”

Although the CDC recently announced that vaccinated people don’t have to wear a mask, this may not be the case in Poly or many other schools. Only time will tell. Other changes next year include permanently adopting the nine in the morning start time, a step that will accommodate the sleeping requirements of young, developing students. With that, however, comes a later dismissal time at 3:40, a possibly controversial move for students and teachers alike. Nevertheless, benefits will be restored such as seniors leaving campus for lunch and maintaining snow days.

All in all, through Poly’s trial and error this year, Poly has been able to narrow down what works and what doesn’t. While the winter months aren’t so compatible with the outdoors, we have discovered that outdoor learning in warm weather is possible. We have learned about cleanliness, safety, and how to take care of our community. Here’s to another year of learning.