Fall Sports Are Back!

Poly athletics are back. After all, sports were pushed back into the spring last year and most teams played two to three games, this fall, teams like football, soccer, and girls’ tennis have nearly full schedules lined up. These games are all in compliance with COVID guidelines set by Poly, New York City, the state of New York, and the federal government—all eligible student-athletes are fully vaccinated and Poly will be playing only other schools that are fully vaccinated to ensure safety among the athletes and coaches. 

Richard Corso, head of athletics, said, “so far this year, we have had about 12 [games] canceled” due to other teams not being fully vaccinated. 

Compared to last year, however, this inconvenience seems minor. “Last year everything was mandatory,” said Corso, indicating masks, tests, and social distancing. Now restrictions are much more lenient—players can take their masks off outside and are not required to get tested. 

“While restrictions have relaxed, spectators have had to follow strict rules regarding vaccinations and masks. [Spectators] must be vaccinated to be on campus. Anyone indoors has a mask on; if you’re outdoors you don’t need a mask,” said Athletic Director Kristin Cannon. 

While these rules are strictly in place at Poly, these restrictions may vary at other schools, depending on where they are located or what their school institution or environment is like. This new athletic year is all starting to come together as the fall season takes off—and was especially apparent during Blue Devil Night, which was one of the largest crowds Poly has seen in a while. 

The energy was still clearly visible at Homecoming. So many sports are already racing to the top of the division. Girls’ varsity soccer started off 5-0. “[After having] no fall season last year, the girls are off to a pretty good start,” said Cannon, the head coach of the team. 

Students and faculty across the school also seem pumped to be back in the flow of things. “It’s much better than last year,” said sophomore Liam McCummings. “[Everyone is] thrilled to be back and from here on out, it’s all about keeping our foot on the gas and keeping the Poly spirit going strong.”