The Student Newspaper of Poly Prep Country Day School

The Polygon

The Polygon

The Polygon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

What’s Going on at Poly this December?

• United States Army Veteran and Former United States Representative Max Rose ’04 visited Poly on Friday, November 17, for an assembly surrounding Veteran’s Day, where he spoke to the Poly community about his experiences in both politics and his life in the army. 
  • This December commenced the Winter Gear Drive which will run until December 20 on the Dyker Heights campus. Bins to donate gently used winter gear, including coats, hats, and other winter accessories. Most of the coat donations will be sent to New York Cares Coat Drive, and most of the other items will go to the emergency pantry at Harvey Milk High School. 
  • Announcing the winners of this year’s Shark Tank Competition… The Merch Store Revamp by Madeline Gross ’26, Emma Auger-Dominguez ’26, Amara Johansson ’26, Ava Barbiere ’26, and Stavroula Gabriel ’25. 
  • The Middle and Upper School Winter Arts Festival which previewed in Chapel on Thursday, December 15, took place the next day on Friday, December 16. The visual arts show which showcased a variety of student art pieces all around the school building invited visitors to experience an exhibit of paintings, sculptures, and more from students in Polys visual arts courses. Shortly after the visual arts display, the annual winter music concert took place in the Memorial Chapel, with performances from Jazz Band, Concert Band, Advanced Concert Band, String Ensemble, Advanced String Ensemble, Concert Choir, Advanced Concert Choir, Harmonics, Blue Notes, A Cappella, and Young and Tower Singers. 
  • This December the Middle School play The Somewhat True Tale of Robin Hood will occur on December 21, which according to the Poly Pulse, tells the story of “an evil prince, with help of a corrupt sheriff, plots to steal the throne of England. Innocent citizens are suffering, but they have a hero lurking in nearby Sherwood Forest…Robin Hood!”
  • Several of Poly’s DEIB colleagues as well as employees across departments recently went to the National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) People of Color Conference from November 29 to December 2. Held in St. Louis this year, the theme for the conference was “Gateways to Freedom: A Confluence of Truth, Knowledge, Joy, and Power.” Poly student representatives attended for the Student Diversity Leadership (SLDC) part of conference, and members of the community also gave presentations, including Upper School Dean Francesca Walker’s #SoftLife: Cultivating Psychological Resilience for Black Women in Independent Schools,” and Poly parent Cindy McField Asamoah’s “The Boys’ Room: Affinity Groups for Black and Brown Boys in Independent Schools.”