Predictions and Reactions to Superbowl LVIII

VIA YAHOO.COM

February 8: Will the Chiefs Take Home A Fourth Trophy?

The annual Super Bowl excites families across the United States looking forward to seeing how their predictions will play out. Whether it’s simply getting together for a fun Sunday or supporting your team, the Super Bowl is something everyone can enjoy. 

Yearly traditions have become a common theme for Super Bowl Sunday. Personally, my family hosts a day-long celebration with all our friends. Charlotte Kuchinad ’26, says, “I help my father make chili yearly and although I’m not usually a football fan, I look forward to watching the halftime show.” On the other hand, Diego Garcia-Phillips ’25, says, “I look forward to the Super Bowl all year long and always watch it, it has become a tradition within my family.”

Despite the Kansas City Chiefs’  highly esteemed quarterback, Partick Mahomes, the San Francisco 49ers are favored to win, according to CBS. In a poll posted on the Poly Student Government Instagram, 58 percent of respondents predict that the Chiefs will defeat the 49ers. The Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Baltimore Ravens 17-10 to advance to the Super Bowl. The San Francisco 49ers beat the Detroit Lions 34-31 with a nail-biting comeback. This sets the stage for the 2024 Super Bowl to be a great contest between two strong teams. 

The Chiefs won the 2023 Super Bowl, leaving us to ask: will they become back-to-back Super Bowl champions and finally be considered a dynasty? 

February 12: Post-Game Reaction

What a game! The 2024 Super Bowl lived up to the hype. The San Francisco 49ers put up a great fight against the Kansas City Chiefs, but despite their best efforts, Mecole Hardman was able to seal the deal in overtime, prompting an unexpected victory. 

Although the odds were in the 49ers’ favor, the Chiefs used their incredible offense to overcome their competitor. The Chiefs were already down 10-3 at halftime but managed to clean it up, sending the Super Bowl into overtime for the second time in NFL history. The back-and-forth game kept viewers on the edge of their seats. Proving rewards with the team’s dedication, post-win Partick Mahomes tells CBS Sports, “We’re not done. We’ve got a young team, we’re going to keep this thing going.” This was Mahome’s third Super Bowl win, leading people to wonder if, one day, he’ll be better than the undisputed GOAT: Tom Brady. 

The Chief’s dedication left fans excited for the 2025 season. Who knows… maybe they will win 3 in a row?