Replaying the Super Bowl

This year’s Super Bowl was anything but normal. Let’s break down everything unique that happened this year, including the football game, the halftime show, and, of course, Taylor Swift.

The Big Game

On February 11, The Kansas City Chiefs won the Super Bowl 25-22 in an overtime thriller against the San Francisco 49ers. Despite having worse odds, the Chiefs somehow got it to go their way. The first half started with a bang when Jake Moody of the 49ers scored a record-breaking 55-yard field goal. Later, the 49ers continued scoring, capitalizing with a 21-yard touchdown pass from Wide Receiver Jauan Jennings to Running Back Christian McCaffrey. Jennings is only the 11th Wide Receiver to throw a touchdown pass in a Super Bowl. The Chiefs then ended the half with a 28-yard field goal to cut the deficit to 7 points. At halftime, it seemed like the 49ers had been in line for their first Super Bowl since 1994; however, Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs had other ideas. Despite quarrels within the team, including the tight end of the Chiefs, Travis Kelce, and head coach Andy Reid, the team went on an important 10-point scoring run. It began with a Harrison Butker 57-yard field goal, breaking the record that 49ers’ kicker Jake Moody just set for the longest field goal in a Super Bowl. Next, Chiefs star quarterback Patrick Mahomes connected with wide receiver Marquez Valdes-Scantling for a 16-yard touchdown pass. But the 49ers would not just let this game slip away from them, responding with a 10-yard touchdown pass thrown from Brock Purdyto Jauan Jennings. Despite the 49ers missing a crucial extra point, congratulations were awarded to Jauan Jennings, who became the second player after Nick Foles to both throw and catch a touchdown in the Super Bowl. Chiefs’ kicker Butker would tie the game at 16-16 with an easy 24-yard field goal. Next, the 49ers could only settle on a field goal to stretch to a 3-point lead with 1 minute and 57 seconds left in the 4th quarter. This was more than enough time for Mahomes to lead his team down the field for a 29-yard field goal from Butker to send the game to overtime. In overtime, the 49ers started with the ball but failed to fully capitalize possession and kicked a 27-yard field goal to stretch their lead to 3. To end the game, Patrick Mahomes led his team down the field and threw a three yard touchdown pass to Chief’s receiver Mecole Hardman Jr to cement themselves as Super Bowl LVIII champions.

Rule Trouble?

Even after the 49ers fell short in Super Bowl LVIII, 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan still faced scrutiny for his decision to take the ball first in overtime. Multiple 49ers admitted they were unclear about the OT playoff rules since they have been amended a few times in recent years. Shanahan revealed Tuesday that he had not discussed the latest change with his team heading into the game. As many fans, including myself, know, the Overtime Rule is that whatever team scores first wins, and if you score a field goal while preventing the other team from doing so or scoring, you win the football game. Knowing this rule, the logical decision seems to always take the ball first in overtime. But, a recent rule change mandated that in the postseason, both teams can possess the ball even if the first offensive team scores a touchdown. Unfortunately, the 49ers were unaware of this rule, winning the coin flip, and choosing to get the ball first. According to ESPN, 49ers players admitted that they didn’t even know about the new rules. “I didn’t even know about the new playoff overtime rule, so it was a surprise to me,” Niners defensive lineman Arik Armstead said. “I didn’t even really know what was going on in terms of that.”

The Halftime Show

Some viewers’ favorite part of the event is the game, while others look forward to its halftime show. Usher headlined the halftime show and was accompanied by Alicia Keys, H.E.R, will.i.am, Ludacris and Lil Jon. According to TV intelligence company Samba TV, Usher’s first Super Bowl show drew 30.1 million households. Samba noted that number was up 5 percent from the 2023 Super Bowl halftime show, which featured Rihanna revealing her pregnancy and drew universal rave reviews.

Taylor Swift

This year we were lucky enough to see another music icon other than Usher, who did not perform. Ever since her first appearance at a Kansas City Chiefs football game, the NFL has seemed to have been all about Taylor Swift. Swift has generated an equivalent brand value of $331.5 million for the Kansas City Chiefs and the NFL, according to Front Office Sports. Many criticize the NFL for her frequent appearances on the TV screen, but this did not stop them from showing her even more at the big game. Swift was shown 12 times for a total of 53 seconds. 

See You Next Year

The Super Bowl once again captivated millions of viewers worldwide with its electrifying performances, thrilling plays, and memorable moments. From spectacular touchdowns to nail-biting finishes, the game showcased the pinnacle of athleticism and sportsmanship on football’s grandest stage. As the confetti falls and the champions celebrate, the Super Bowl continues to solidify its place as one of the most iconic events in sports history, leaving fans eagerly awaiting next year’s spectacle.