Poly Introduces New Middle School Reading Club

VIA SAMANTHA OWEN

Poly recently introduced new initiatives and events for the Middle School to engage students and parents in reading. In an email from Daniel Doughty, head of middle school, sent on February 8, he explains how the reading club works and the new initiatives. The Polygon interviewed the Head of the Middle School and Librarian, the other head of the book club, and students from the book club. 

According to Doughty, “I want to emphasize the importance of reading to our Middle School students. I love reading and know it’s an important part of my life. I hope it will become an important part of our students’ lives. I know that many students love reading. I thought it would be a great way to come together and celebrate and learn from each other.” 

Doughty also explains, “Usually, a book club is an opportunity for people to share the experience of reading the same book. They’ll come together and there will be some different questions to talk about what some of the themes of the book are, and what characters resonated with you.” 

However, conversations during the book club can also vary greatly and go in any direction that members feel is best, as Doughty notes, such as students sharing both what they thought and listening to the thoughts of others. 

“There might be a chapter that you love that other people didn’t understand and, you can explain what you took from it or vice versa, or certain characters that might’ve felt like they resembled you or that you saw something that you were interested in. So it gives people a chance to do that and also just a chance to connect […].” 

Lastly, Doughty said that he thought it was a great idea to start the group with Middle School Librarian Samantha Owen, who also set up fun activities for the participants.

Fifth Grader Poppy Johnson said, “We’re reading Look Both Ways [by Jason Reynolds] and, then when we go to the book club, we’re going to do discussion questions. I haven’t been to it yet. But it seems fun so far. I like the book. However, it’s not my favorite book.” 

Fifth Grader Amanda Marcano-James added, “I love the reading club it’s fun because Ms. Owen always loves to go in-depth with the books. I joined the club because I love reading. We can share our experience of reading books.”