Spring Sports Head South for Spring Break

Every year during spring break, most of Poly’s spring sports teams take a trip down to Florida to build team chemistry, play new opponents, and enjoy time in the sun. This past break, the girls’ and boys’ lacrosse teams, and the softball team flew to Orlando to train and got to experience the thrills of Universal Studios. The baseball team took a trip to Saint Petersburg, which is west of Orlando and approximately a two-hour drive away. 

Last year, girls’ lacrosse went to South Carolina to train, a distinct change from the Orlando environment. However, the team enjoyed their return to Florida. “Collectively, the trip exceeded our expectations. We were worried about playing in the Florida heat but it wasn’t that bad and it was nice to bump into people from other Poly teams at the hotel and amusement parks,” said junior Zoë Campbell. Campbell remarked that as well as having fun, the team also bonded even more. Even though they were already close, after being together every day they formed “new connections, which definitely translated onto the field.” The team played one game while in Florida, against Virginian school WT Woodson. Unfortunately, they lost, but still, “It was a great experience playing a school that we wouldn’t otherwise be able to play in the season and the game provided us opportunities to try out new plays and strategies before the season kickstarted back in New York,” said Campbell. Overall, it was a successful trip for the team, and they currently sit at a comfortable 2-0 record, beating Dalton and Fieldston.

In Saint Petersburg, Poly Baseball played a few scrimmages in the early week before playing two games that counted toward their record: against North Side Christian and Bayport. The team suffered defeat against a well-rounded North Side Christian team, but bounced back and beat Bayport. The trip didn’t only revolve around the games, but also the team’s chemistry building. “I believe that the Florida trip always brings us closer together. Not just on the level of friendship but family,” said junior and Duke baseball commit Justice DeJong. DeJong believes the trip marks a new chapter for the team, “My favorite part of Florida is seeing how the team will grow because Florida is the start of the season.” Overall, the trip was a success and helped build a foundation for the rest of the year. The team recently beat rivals Stony Brook 4-3 in a thrilling game, ending in a walk-off from Senior Masai Marshall, and are enjoying the competitive schedule they’ve been given this season.