Prove You’re the Best by Taking the Test

Aidan Pompa and Elena Diaz

When considering prospective colleges, the difficulty of one’s course load is essential. Many students want to show the colleges that they are applying to that they are able to take on difficult coursework. A great way to demonstrate this ability is by taking AP (Advanced Placement) classes.

Students who take these classes have often received an A- or above in the subject the previous year.

These classes move faster than regular classes and cumulate in a three to four hour test, scored on a scale of one through five.  

These academically rigorous classes are attractive to colleges because they show that students are willing to challenge themselves. Since APs are harder than regular courses, they look very impressive on a transcript, depending on the final grade, and can be weighted to give students’ GPAs a boost.

Taking AP classes show that students are up to a challenge and that difficult classes do not intimidate them.

Another benefit of APs is that they count for college credit. If students get a five on an AP, they may place out of the requirement in college.

When asked what he likes about the AP classroom setting, Sophomore Oscar Champigneulle said, “I enjoy the fast paced learning environment.”

APs go into greater depth on certain topics and are engaging for students who wish to become more educated on that topic. Furthermore, there is an AP for many student’s interest!

When asked about the benefits of APs, Jules Gabellini said, “Even though they are stressful, they force me to learn things that I, otherwise, would not have known in a way that is very memorable.”

Junior Will Higgins said, “I like the AP classes that I am in because I have become more educated in things I like.”

APs often get a bad reputation because they are so challenging. Even though they are difficult, if you are interested in the topic, it can become very interesting.  

Senior Josh Winton says that the classes consist of “Challenging materials, interesting subjects, and great teachers.”

Despite the difficulty of AP classes, they allow students that are interested in a certain topic to indulge that interest. APs can unlock a whole different world of things from better chances of getting into colleges to college credit and scholarships.