The Student Newspaper of Poly Prep Country Day School

The Polygon

The Polygon

The Polygon

Editors Note Regarding Israel-Hamas War Coverage

The Polygon always strives to fully cover any and all major events that undoubtedly need to be brought to the community’s attention. As journalists, our goal was to report on and accurately cover this major event due to its impact both within the Poly community and the broader global context. The Polygon recognizes that this topic is one that will resonate with many members of our community and may bring up lots of difficult emotions. 

At the beginning of the reporting process, with the understanding that this was a topic that we needed to cover in our paper, we assigned two of our senior writers to complete this task. We were mindful in our reporting to attempt to include a wide variety of perspectives in order to accomplish this, including several administrators, affinity group student and faculty leaders, history department teachers, other faculty members from Poly as well as students from other Ivy League Prep schools. The Polygon acknowledges that one of the co-writers on this piece is a leader of Jewish Caucus. However, as Polygon students are involved in a vast number of community spaces, it can be difficult to avoid all potential conflicts of interest. We do our best to separate our lives from our jobs as student journalists. 

Nevertheless, we always ensure that all information is as unbiased as possible and thoroughly fact-checked by our staff. Our fact-checking process is extensive as we make sure that multiple staff members have carefully reviewed and checked every quote, piece of research, and potential discrepancy. We checked all language throughout and consulted a variety of news sources, websites, and the AP style Israel-Hamas topical guide

The Polygon will continue to report the most up-to-date information on the situation as possible, and acknowledges that the situation is constantly changing as more information comes out. We encourage anyone to voice their response of the Polygon’s reporting by sending a letter to the editor or a comment to [email protected]. We also welcome any story ideas that should be covered in our next issue.