Senior Spotlight: Trent Winston

VIA TRENT WINSTON

With all the talented student-athletes at Poly, it’s hard to choose just one. Nevertheless, Senior Trent Winston stands out amongst the rest as a three-sport athlete, being an integral part of the Poly football, lacrosse, and track teams.

Winston began his athletic career with basketball, then progressed to lacrosse and football as he got older. He played youth football for the Rosedale Jets and began playing for Poly his freshman year, making a significant impact on the team ever since.

Winston was one of two juniors in a team full of seniors, starting defense for Poly’s football team in their 2022 championship-winning season. He has been a mainstay in the team’s defense ever since, and a lockdown cornerback, only allowing a single touchdown in nine games last season. 

Winston continued to perform in athletics in his junior year, even after football season, as he had a prolific indoor track season, finishing in the NYSAIS top six in the 55 meter dash. He wasn’t done there however, as he started for the Poly lacrosse team as the FOGO (face of get off) in the spring and earned an All-League Honorable Mention. 

This season, Winston proved that he is not only a standout defensive player but an offensive weapon as well. He ended the season leading the team in rushing and receiving yards, with 1186 combined, and total touchdowns, with eight. Senior and Team Captain Abe Herzog said that Trent has “been running over everyone in the league. I can count on him getting 100 yards and a touchdown every single game.”

Winston commented that “the football team especially is like family to me” and their chemistry definitely translates onto the field, judging by their success this season. “I love blocking for him because I can drive my guy five yards back and then just watch Trent go to work,” said Herzog. Winston said that he “spends more time with them than anyone else during the season,” practicing, watching film, and of course, going to BurgerFi after summer practices. “So the bonds are very close.” 

Being a three-sport athlete, Winston has had to learn how to manage his time effectively. When asked about life as a student-athlete at Poly, he said: “It’s definitely a struggle to manage my time because of practice and games. I get home super late and I’m often extremely tired and still need to complete homework and study.” 

Unfortunately, after coming off an impressive playoff victory at home against Riverdale 21-14, Winston’s senior football season ended in an uncharacteristic defeat to Rye Country Day in the MIFL League Championship. Nevertheless, there’s no debating the impact he’s had on the program and now he can look to the future, with the indoor track season just around the corner and lacrosse following it shortly after.