A Year in Review, Through Music

A Year in Review, Through Music

Hi! My name is Meena Kodali, and I am a passionate lover of music. I listen to around 1,000 minutes of music a week and can often be found walking around the hallways with headphones in, ignoring everything else going on around me to focus on the music. That said, I will be sharing my top three albums of 2023. These albums are both old and new, all ones I have fallen in love with over this past year. Obviously, music is subjective, and what I love may not fit your preferences. Regardless, I encourage anyone to try new music and expand beyond the mainstream; you might discover something you really unexpectedly adore. 

“The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We” by Mitski

This album is included first in this article and first in my heart. I can’t even begin to articulate how impressed I was with the album. I was not always the biggest fan of Mitski, but after listening, my opinions were instantly changed. Leading off the album with my favorite song, Bug Like An Angel, sets the tone for this heartbreakingly beautiful project. It must be mentioned that the production quality of this album is truly outstanding and in combination with Mitski’s lyrical skill, a gorgeous collection of songs is formed. This album is Mitski’s seventh studio album, and she continues to take risks with her music. In this album, she features a full orchestra conducted by Drew Erikson, along with a choir and band that she arranged. It is clear that she is not trying to appeal to the common public and write something that will reach number one on music charts. Instead, she is writing music that is authentic to her identity as an artist. Mitski’s The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We integrates quality sound with stunning poetry that will forever hold a special place in my heart. Mitski’s album is rainy October weekends, walking around aimlessly, her newest, and in my opinion best, project blasting through my headphones. Every listen of this album, no matter how many times I’ve heard it, evokes strong emotion and a sense of comfort moving through my body. This album is not quite happy, not quite sad, but somewhere in between. Exploring themes of love, loss, and self-discovery, this album is truly fantastic. 

“Because the Internet” by Childish Gambino

Released in 2013, this project by Donald Glover is over ten years old, yet remains relevant. When I sat down to listen to this album earlier this year, I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting. What I love about Donald’s music is that he does not attach himself to a genre, and is a niche of his own. His sound in this album is not comparable to anything else. Every song has its own unique essence, yet they all manage to work together, forming a cohesion that is satisfying and avoids redundancy throughout the album. This project takes risks. Some people may find it strange, the word-play throughout could be seen as crude, but that is totally ignorant of Donald’s identity as a creator. He is not writing to please, but rather to provoke and tell a story, similar to what popular artist Tyler The Creator does with his music. Overall, this album is entertaining to listen to, with bold choices, like when he begins I. Flight Of The Navigator with a monologue describing his dream, along with ingenious lyrical choices. I would definitely consider this my feel-good album of 2023. 

“Souvlaki” by Slowdive 

You might be familiar with this album, as one of its tracks As The Sun Hits had a flash of popularity on TikTok. Admittedly, this song’s five seconds of fame on TikTok was how I came to know and love Slowdive. Upon listening to As The Sun Hits, I listened to its accompanying tracks on the album. I was truly blown away. To begin, I love this band because of the female voice and influence in their music. Bands that fall under the “indie rock” genre are dominantly male ensembles. Though seven out of their eight members are male, female vocals are ever present on many songs in this album. This album flows together seamlessly. The mood and tone of each song so stunningly leads into the next. Another thing I love about this band is the musicality in each and every song. The talent of Slowdive’s guitarists and drummers is immense, and showcased throughout the album. In some of their songs, the lyrics are faint and can be barely understood over the noises of various impressive guitar, drum, and bass solos. Everyone I’ve spoken about in this article are artists, but the members of Slowdive are true musicians, and that shines through in every song on this album. This album is something out of a dream; listening to it is something of a transcendent experience. Listening to it as I do work, or sit on the train, I find myself lost in its instrumental lure. This album is short but sweet, and definitely worth a listen (or five) to anyone, especially those with a preference for musicality over lyrical strength. This album has an air of melancholy and nostalgia that seems to linger after every listen; and is definitely one of my favorite albums to cry to if that’s something you’re into. 

Overall, my opinions don’t really mean anything. Music, like all art, is deeply personal. You may listen to my recommendations and have a completely different experience listening to them than I did. This doesn’t upset me at all, I’d love for you to disagree with me, confront me with a completely different take or perspective. Listen, or don’t. Love it, or hate it. Cry, or laugh. Smile, or frown. Feel, relate, analyze. This is the beauty of music.