Just a Bundle of Sticks

A Message of Inclusion

The 6-letter, two-syllable, anti-gay slur has a very charged and violent history. A recent event involving Poly students was just another event in the line of unacceptable appellations aimed at the LGBTQ+ community. All marginalized groups have had words weaponized against them throughout history, and, unfortunately, most gay men have encountered this slur in their lifetime. From the Latin, meaning “bundle of sticks,” the slur is used to emasculate gay men and dehumanize them. Understand? Piles of sticks to be kicked. This jarring incident had an immense impact on Poly students, but is only one serious incident among a series of seemingly trivial homophobic micro aggressions. “Gay,” once a word that meant happy and carefree, is spun with negative connotations now that it’s used to describe a person who is attracted to someone of the same gender. “That’s so gay” is not an uncommon insult thrown around. Why are we insulting people and why are we bringing LGBTQ+ people into it? In response to the recent incident, the GSA, the Gay Straight Alliance, has offered a safe meeting space to support students and hear people’s thoughts. Many students made the most of the opportunity and rose to the challenge of discussing something so personal, an effort that should be commended. The meeting was “a thoughtful and thought-provoking meeting,” said Head of GSA Maggie Moslander. “I walked away from it feeling like we had a clear sense of students’ needs and that students have a desire to shift the culture around issues of LGBTQ+ inclusion and belonging at Poly.” Moving forward, Moslander emphasizes the importance of speaking out against any and all forms of discrimination and becoming a better member of our community to prevent these events from happening. “I think we can learn from this how important it is to be an up stander rather than a bystander,” said Moslander.  “It is the responsibility of every member of this community to speak up and help them understand why their words undermine our “Let’s teach love, not hate. Let’s hold ourselves accountable, learn from the wrong doing, and apologize. The LGBTQ+ community is not alone in facing discrimination, so let’s not ignore but come together. Let’s ensure that everyone is safe at our school, no matter their ethnicity, race, gender, or sexuality. Just because we live in New York City and pride ourselves as being a more progressivist and inclusive institution, does not mean we can pay no mind to the homophobia that still exists in our community.” shared efforts to create a community where everyone belongs.” Let’s teach love, not hate. Let’s hold ourselves accountable, learn from the wrongdoing, and apologize. The LGBTQ+ community is not alone in facing discrimination, so let’s not ignore but come together. Let’s ensure that everyone is safe at our school, no matter their ethnicity, race, gender, or sexuality. Just because we live in New York City and pride ourselves as being a more progressivist and inclusive institution, does not mean we can pay no mind to the homophobia that still exists in our community.