The Student Newspaper of Poly Prep Country Day School

The Polygon

The Polygon

The Polygon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

What’s On Your Wishlist?

VIA CREATIVE COMMONS

It’s December and winter break is just around the corner. With the weather getting colder, people are looking forward to the holidays, family, and winter celebrations. However, as we venture further into the month, many are wondering: “What should I get for others this season?” Whether you celebrate Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, or your own special tradition, Poly students know what’s on everyone’s wishlist this year. 

Jenesis Bartholomew ’27 and Kailynn Hernandez ’27 shared that electronics are the most desired gift this season. “I really want a PS5,” said Hernandez. “I want to play The Last of Us, I also want to play the Miles Morales game, and I also want the Spider-Man 2 game.” With the growing popularity of technology, Hernandez shared that every student wishes for the latest video games, phones, and iPads, and this is a sentiment Bartholomew shares: “I want Mortal Kombat 1,” she said. While these gifts are an investment, the amount of students who express interest in new technology demonstrates how much of an essential they have become. Playing games with friends has become a new favorite pastime for many. Students agree that this season, there is no better way to celebrate the holidays than to partake in friendly competition with those you love. 

Gabby Watts ’27 and Emma Gordon-MooPenn ’27 noted that another way to express love for your friends is to give them a few popular items this holiday: “Matching jewelry,” according to Gordon-MooPenn and “chocolate and gift cards” according to Watts. Hernandez and Bartholomew also agreed that gift cards are a great and affordable way to spread cheer. Hernandez stated, “Unless it’s a specific item [a friend] wants, [give them] gift cards, because that way they can get whatever they want.” Bartholomew adds that gift cards, while non-specific, can also be personalized to fit the interests of the individual. “If there’s a certain region of [interest your friend] has, you can get them an Amazon gift card, or if they play on the Nintendo Switch, you can get them a Nintendo Switch gift card. [Gift cards] are something that they will use and enjoy.” 

Additionally, Bartholomew added that clothes are another easy and appreciated present. When asked “What do you think will be the most popular item and why,” she states, “Probably anything with clothes….I feel like that’s something our generation is really into.” She adds that the Essentials Fear of God hoodie is a particularly popular clothing item as a result of our generation’s susceptibility to social media influence. “You see one person [online] wearing [a] certain Tiffany and Co. bracelet, [and] everyone wants that bracelet,” stated Bartholomew. Hernandez added that “the amount of influencers with Sol de Janeiro,” a popular perfume and skincare brand, “is crazy.” “I’m literally wearing [Sol de Janeiro] right now,” added  Bartholomew. “It’s so good.” So, if you’re completely lost as to what you should get someone this season, the internet is a great place to turn to. Any brand, product, or service publicized by online influencers becomes very popular with Gen Z, as illustrated by Hernandez’s statement: “I want Sol de Janeiro so bad.” 

In all, there is no shortage of gifts to give to others this season. From clothing to video games, there is something for everyone this holiday. However, while gift-giving is a great way to express your love, don’t forget to be appreciative of who and what you have. Gifts are costly, and you don’t need them to express your gratitude to others. Above all, the holiday season is a time of thanks, so don’t forget to keep that in mind when considering others and their celebrations this season.