Q&A With the Deans: Ed Yao

Maddie Winter, Editor-In-Chief

As of October 16, Ed Yao will no longer be handling the responsibilities of Upper School Dean at Poly Prep. 

When did you start working in education and how long have you been at Poly?

I actually began my career in education on what we know as “the other side of the desk”, working as a college admissions counselor at Gettysburg College. My career in college admissions brought me back home to New York City while working with New York University and then Sarah Lawrence College. I joined the high school college counseling team at North Star Academy, a high-performing charter school in Newark, NJ, and have now been a member of the Poly community for 4 months. I continue to feel a great sense of pride being a member of such a dynamic and welcoming community.

What drew you to the dean’s position?

I was attracted to my positions at both the collegiate and high school levels by a desire to help students and families navigate the confusing world of college admissions. My role as a high school college counselor allowed me to have a greater impact – helping to research schools and prepare applications rather than solely making decisions. I was attracted to the Dean’s model at Poly for a similar reason. Our new model allows me to provide boarder support to the students with whom I work, and to do so much earlier on. As colleges review your four years of high school, it is ideal for me to be in a position to advise and influence student’s end goal throughout their four years.

What’s your favorite thing about working with students?

Each student I’ve ever worked with is unique. While transcripts or test scores may be similar, student passions, interests, and wants are all different. I appreciate the challenge of building a relationship with a such a variety of talented young adults. More importantly, I enjoy watching people realize, work toward, and achieve their dreams. My role as Dean places me in a unique position at the perfect time to watch this metamorphosis.

What are your goals for this year?

To learn the names and a unique fact of every member of the Poly community!

How is high school different than when you were our age?

Though my high school experience was a bit different – having attended boarding school – I would say students are pushed to accomplish more and more each year. While sometimes there is a healthy balance and sometimes not, I believe students are far better prepared to lead our ever-changing world.

What’s your favorite hobby?

Without a doubt, my motorcycle.

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

Determination is what makes the impossible possible, the possible likely, and the likely definite.

What 3 words would your best friend use to describe you?

Fun, adventurous, and supportive.