Friday Night Frights

An evening filled with games, music, food, student performances, and Halloween spirit

Courtesy of Poly Athletics

“Halloweekend” was off to a good start as Varsity Football clinched a 32-0 win over Hackley to go to the final playoff game on November 6 against Hopkins. While the team ultimately lost the game against Hopkins, this “Friday Night Frights” was one for the books. While the weather was down, the Blue Devils’ spirit wasn’t. It was raining sporadically and reached a low of 50 degrees. Spirits were lifted, however, by the free hot chocolate and donut holes. Freshman Owen Ten Oever enjoyed the game. “I enjoyed the suspense and the buildup to the game. The game was a good game, and it was nice to see Poly win. The weather conditions weren’t great but [the game] was still enjoyable,” Ten Oever said. The majority of the crowd were freshmen, all eager to cheer on fellow Blue Devils. The crowd bundled up and preserved through the rain. The game started off with a beautiful performance of the national anthem by junior Adrianna Neal. Students were in their Halloween costumes from the school day, encouraging the Friday Frights theme. The Poly Varsity Football Team wasn’t the only Blue Devils who went home with a victory this Friday Frights. The Girls’ Varsity Volleyball team finished their regular season with a 3-0 win against Horace Mann. Girls’ Varsity Volleyball is now advancing to the playoffs. Freshman Oakley DeCristofaro, who is on the team said, “I am so proud of my team and how far we have come. I am so excited to be going to the playoffs.” The team ended up beating Fieldston to win
the NYSAIS championship. Freshman Zoë Campbell, who also attended the game, commented on the high energy in the room. “The game was so high energy and fun. I was at the edge of my seat the whole time,” Campbell said.