The Return of Oasis Society

Oasis Society is the oldest student organization at Poly and recognizes students who embody high standards of citizenship. Jared Winston, the director of student life for Middle and Upper School and one of the faculty leaders of Oasis Society, delved into what the group looks for in a student candidate and what their goals are: “Oasis Society students are considered students of great character.”  Those with “great character,” according to Winston,  are students who demonstrate “involvement in various facets of student life on campus, engagement in their communities off campus, and demonstrations of good judgment in the classroom and beyond.” Winston added that Oasis Society members “function regularly as the glue that binds our dynamic student experiences here at Poly” by running “student organizations,” leading “on-campus initiatives,” and more. 

“We hope to leverage the array of traits that Oasis Society members bring to school every day in the name of growing character, community, and culture here at Poly,” Winston said. Winston noted that the goals and foundation of Oasis Society are still a work in progress, but regardless, “[Oasis Society wants] to be intentional with how [they call] upon members to grow the community as the Oasis Society returns to Poly.” 

The Oasis Society is moving to act on “institutional ideas” as they are planning an “Oasis Society Summit” as well as a “Peer Mentorship program;” both are hopefully going to be launched in the near future. The summit is aimed to provide students with a direct path of communication to the school’s administration, supplying the student body with a voice that can “channel our efforts to improve the student experience and inch us closer to fulfilling our aspirations as a school,” added Winston. The mentorship program allows Upper School students to support Middle School students in both “academic, social [and] emotional” areas of their lives. “Oasis Society presents a meaningful opportunity to bridge the gap between the two schools and leave a lasting legacy here at Poly,” said Winston. 

Winston also touched upon “cultural pathways to promote students within the Oasis Society and have them share their energy and grow their impact.”He referenced the work the Oasis Society did with welcoming and guiding the Lower School students who were on campus for the Solidarity Week celebration. “Moments like these place Oasis Society members in esteemed roles that reinforce how we hope students might navigate their time at Poly: with integrity and character,” said Winston.

Oasis Society, while not a group everyone is familiar with, is a group everyone can look to for guidance within Poly’s community.