The Student Newspaper of Poly Prep Country Day School

The Polygon

The Polygon

The Polygon

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Snowflakes, Santa, and Sia: The Holiday Trifecta

Kirk Stauffer
VIA CREATIVE COMMONS

Every holiday season it seems like we inevitably reach the same debate: “Who makes better holiday music: Mariah Carey or Michael Bublé?” However, I think it’s silly that we are confining the music meant to soundtrack such a vital part of the year to the discographies of two artists. While the holiday songs of Carey and Bublé are absolute bangers and will forever induce nostalgia, I believe it’s time to induct a new artist into the “Holiday Music Hall of Fame,” and that artist is Sia. Sia’s experimental take on holiday music is refreshing in a sea of Christmas songs that can sometimes all feel the same. Sia’s holiday music is able to convey traditional holiday themes such as joy, merriness, and togetherness, while incorporating more unique lyricism and production. 

Sia released her holiday album, Everyday is Christmas, in 2018. This year, she released Everyday is Christmas (Snowman Deluxe), which features eight additional tracks. Both iterations of the album mostly feature songs written and produced by Sia and her producer, Greg Kurstin. 

Sia is able to capture the childlike excitement that most of us have felt before during the holidays in her songs “Candy Cane Lane,” “Puppies are Forever,” and “Under the Mistletoe.” Sia also has songs, such as “Snowman” and “Pin Drop,” that encapsulate the occasional holiday sadness felt by many. The variety of song types within Everyday is Christmas showcases the album’s emotional range, as well as Sia’s emotional range and diverse set of capabilities as an artist. 

One track on the album that really stuck out to me was “Snowman.” Throughout the song, Sia repeatedly uses the word “snowman” to refer to the person that she is singing to or trying to cheer up. Sia sings, “A puddle of water can’t hold me close, baby/Can’t hold me close, baby” In this line, we see Sia explaining to the snowman that, if he were to melt, she would be rendered lonely and without a companion. Continuing the snowman metaphor, Sia goes on to sing, “Let’s go below zero and hide from the sun.” It seems like the snowman character has an aversion to or fear of the sun, and Sia spends the entirety of the song attempting to cheer up the snowman by assuring it she will always be by its side. We see this in lyrics like, “I want you to know that I’m never leaving/’Cause I’m Mrs. Snow, ’til death we’ll be freezing.” Sia always reminds the snowman of its importance in her life in lyrics like “Don’t cry, snowman, don’t you shed a tear/Who’ll hear my secrets if you don’t have ears, baby?” Parallels can be drawn between Sia’s experience with the snowman in this song and our everyday relationships. By using this playful and witty metaphor, Sia is able to convey the importance of togetherness and supporting loved ones, especially during the holiday season. 

This holiday season, if you find yourself lost in a web of Christmas songs that seem to all be renditions of each other, add Everyday is Christmas to your queue and give Sia’s holiday music a chance; you won’t regret it. Happy holidays!